Every woman and child deserves safety and shelter – it is a fundamental societal right. SOWINS is available to assist any woman in crisis at any time, to give her and her family our full attention and support. We provide information and guidance to help women make decisions and choices based on each individual and unique situation, to take the steps towards change and away from abuse.
Who We Are and What We Do
Established in 1981, SOWINS assists women and their families to recognize, understand and overcome the effects of abuse and violence.
We provide support and services such as:
Emergency short term housing, individual support services and counselling, children’s programs and specialized pre-employment services.
We also raise awareness about abuse and violence in our effort to prevent and eliminate it from our community.
Benefits of Being A Member of SOWINS
The benefits of being a member of SOWINS, include the opportunity to:
- Belong to and support an organization that seeks a world free of abuse and violence against women and children, and strive to make our community a safer and healthier place for all;
- Influence and support SOWINS’ bids for grants to sustain our programs and services. The more members we have, the greater impact our grant applications will receive when assessed;
- Support a local society whose work in the community you believe to be valuable and important;
- Demonstrate to others (potential employers, local communities, etc.) your interest in community involvement and your willingness to dedicate your time and energies towards local not-for-profit organizations;
- Provide input about the direction of SOWINS’ programs and services;
- Vote at our Annual General Meeting held in June each year;
- Be eligible to become a Board Member.