SOWINS hands circle

Current Opportunities

Casual / Relief Worker - Transition House

Casual / Relief with no set hours

This is an on-going posting


Transition House requires Casual / Relief staff to fill Women’s Support Worker (Grid 11) positions.

The Transition House is a residential setting for women and their children who have experienced or are at risk of abuse.

Women’s Support Workers provide crisis intervention, safety planning, and emotional support for women and their children.

Using a trauma informed practice approach, the Workers provide information about the nature of abuse, support in recognizing, understanding and overcoming the effects of abuse, and assist women to assess and prioritize their needs, and develop short-term plans with the ultimate goal of self-sufficiency and community connectedness.

Workers provide transportation and accompaniment to appointments (using SOWINS vehicle) as required.

Services are provided at the Transition House, or at other public locations in the community.

Women’s Support Workers develop and implement short-term, issue-specific intervention plans within program guidelines, plan and conduct individual and/or group counselling sessions using basic supportive counselling techniques, advocate and provide information and referrals to other community agencies.


    • Diploma in a related human / social service field
    • One year recent experience in the area of violence against women
      Other requirements:

    • Ability to provide supportive counselling
    • Valid full BC Drivers License with good driving record.
    • Acceptable criminal record check
    • Valid First Aid certificate
    • Must be physically able to do general household chores; and be able to deal with ongoing crisis situations.
    • Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
    • Second Language and / or good working knowledge of cultural diversity an asset

Please send a resume and a letter telling us why you are interested in supporting women who have experienced violence or abuse.

Send your application to:

This is an H.S.A. Union position