Volunteering at SOWINS is a special opportunity to directly contribute to our agency. Our volunteers are community members in good standing who understand the important and confidential nature of the work that we do. Our major volunteer times are around our events Walk a Mile (June) and Share the Spirit (Nov-Dec 2017). Please note that the majority of our volunteer positions require:
- In-person intake interview and volunteer forms
- A Criminal Record Review check with the Ministry of Justice (no cost)
- Ethical conduct and confidentiality agreement
- We are not able to offer community service hour fulfillment volunteering
Areas to Volunteer
Safe Home Operators
- A Safe Home is a private residence open by compassionate volunteers, that provides up to 10 days of shelter for a woman or a woman and her children who are fleeing a violent or abusive situation.
- If you are interested in becoming a Safe Home Operator or would like additional information, please contact the Safe Home Coordinator at: (250) 493-4366 ext. 120.
Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors is the legal authority for SOWINS. Each Board Member acts in a position of trust for the community, and is responsible for the effective governance of the organization. Board Members are elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting and serve for a two-year term. Board members may serve up to four consecutive terms.
- Holiday events (Share the Spirit, donation room, and holiday cheer party for clients)
- Walk a Mile in Her Shoes South Okanagan – this is our annual fundrasier,
- Trade Shows, Community Market, Info Booths, 3rd party fundraising events, and more.
WE Project Facilitators:
- Members of the community who share their passions and hobbies with the women that SOWINS serves. Past classes have included cooking, arts & crafts, meditation, yoga and so much more. Learn more about what we offer through the WE Project here. To get involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits of Volunteering
- Volunteering connects you to others: Be an integral part of your community while making new friends
- Volunteering helps you stay physically active, increases self-confidence, and generates happiness
- Volunteering furthers your ambition to be the change you want to see in the world
Time commitments can vary from a few hours per week to a few times per year. Show people what you are passionate about and maybe you will inspire them too.
Start making a difference in the lives of local women and their families today!
102 – 1027 Westminster Ave W,
Penticton, BC V2A 1L4
250.493.4366 Ext: 105