2019 Walk to End Abuse Starts in:
Join the fight against violence and abuse. Take a stand and walk for awareness and change.
Sunday, June 2, 2019
10:00 am – Rotary Park, Penticton
Please, join us for the 6th Annual SOWINS Walk to End Abuse.
For victims of abuse and violence, silence can be isolating, dangerous and even fatal. Join us as we Break the Silence and Stop the Violence in our community!
Help us save lives and create change by registering early and asking your friends and family for their support. Your support will bring much needed awareness to the serious issue of violence and abuse in our community. Every dollar raised is invested locally to help save and change lives.
- BECAUSE OF YOU: SOWINS was able to provide emergency shelter 4,500 bed stays for women and children last year, now including 2-3 youth who have no other place to turn.
- BECAUSE OF YOU: More than 500 counselling sessions were provided to help children who witnessed or were impacted by abuse.
- BECAUSE OF YOU: More than 1,400 counselling sessions were provided to the women we serve.
Donate now by visiting https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/south-okanagan-women-in-need-society/p2p/walk-2019 or call 250-493-4366.
This beautiful walk along the lakeshore will include music, guest speakers, food and drinks and the ceremonious flags demonstrating how much you have helped over the years! You can be a part of the solution: YOU can help local women flee to safety, a warm bed, full tummy and a plan for a new life! YOU can see the most vulnerable children and youth in our community escape a life of family violence! Set your fundraising goal and change lives for local women and children! Asking for support/money can be tough so here is your fundraising checklist to get you started and successful in achieving your fundraising goal.
- What is your personal connection to the cause? Be sure to share this story with your friends, family and contacts as you ask for support. This is your story, your cause not just a great cause to give to.
- Support your cause. Be sure to support your campaign with your own donation. Even if you donate $10, it will show your supporters that you are vested in the cause.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for an amount. If you ask for $20 you are more likely to get $20 donations than $5 or $10.
- Set a reasonable goal, you can always raise it later. Unattainable goals are self- defeating. Start in a place that is comfortable. If you get there, you can always move it up later. It is your personal page! Minimum suggested target is $250.
- Getting the word (and ask) out! While social media is a great way to fundraise, email still gets the most donations. A personal email from you will bring in the best results.
- Be sure to post your progress. Let your supporters know how you are doing. You can post on social media or send an email, just keep them in the loop.
- Let your supporters know where the money is going! Did you know?
- 1 in 4 solicitation emails from peer-to-peer fundraisers results in donations versus 1 in 1,250 sent by the fundraising organizations themselves
Thank you to our generous sponsors who are helping us to end violence and abuse.